This article or section refers to elements from one of the Dune computer games.
The game was developed in 2003-2004 by Vladislav Demjanishin with some updates later; as of 2018 last patched version is 1.5295, October 2017. It is now freeware, though initially a non-free unlocker was needed for some campaigns.
Dune IV has mostly the same gameplay of the original game, but adds a modern interface, including multiple unit selection and building pipeline. It grabbed the original graphics, but many sounds are new (voices are in russian or in english with a little slavic accent). The most notable differences in gameplay are:
- Barracks have an additional function, they raise the maximum number of units that the player can produce.
- Ornithopters and carryalls can float in midair and are fully controlled by the player like other units.
- Repair facility only repairs turrets.
- Starport no longer buys units.
- Only the first spice refinery includes a harvester.
- Radar is not necessary to see minimap.
- Sandworms run very fast to eat harvesters, then stay immobile for some time after eating.
- Defensive wall not available.
- IX research center increases productivity.
Five new campaigns are available (two Atreides, Harkonnen, Ordos, Fremen). Multiplayer over LAN allows battles with up to 8 competitors on predesigned scenarios. The game includes a scenario editor.